July 16, 2020
Greetings and happy summer! Here are a few updates on what is going on with the library:
You’re probably all wondering when we’re going to be open to the public again, and at this point we do not have a specific date set. We are following the advice of County Public Health, and once they give us the go-ahead we will let you know. Visit our website at www.sdcl.org for the most up to date information on our reopening plans.
In the meantime, however, we are offering doorside service! You can request items online or over the phone at (619) 445-4221 and we will call you when they come in. Or if you’d just like to stop by and have us grab you a few items, we’d be happy to do that. We probably have something on the shelf that you’d enjoy! Find us at the staff entrance, 10 a.m.-4 p.m, Monday through Friday.
We are also now accepting returns! Drop off your items at the staff door from 10 a.m.-4 p.m, Monday through Friday. All materials will be quarantined for at least 3 days before we check them in.
Due dates have been extended for all SDCL materials until December 31, 2020, so if you’re still enjoying them you don’t have to bring them back just yet!
Read, learn, and create all summer long by taking San Diego County Library’s Summer Learning Challenge! Our annual program launched on Monday, June 22, and is available online at www.sdcl.org/summer. Register today to track your reading progress, write book reviews for the community to enjoy, and complete learning challenges that will bring local art, culture, and recreation opportunities directly to you online.
This year’s Summer Learning Challenge awards digital badges for participation. A badge is earned for every 10 books or 10 hours read, plus for completing a series of online challenges. There are 9 challenge tracks offered in English and 6 in Spanish, with something special for each age group. These challenges include virtual hikes, poetry writing, online tours of local museums, and much more.
In addition to the Summer Learning Challenge, the library is offering a variety of other online services this summer:
- Storytime Shorts featuring your favorite library staff reading books and singing songs
- Book Shorts featuring library staff sharing their favorite titles
- eBooks and audiobooks are available 24/7 with special collections curated for various ages, genres, and hot topics
- Lynda.com brings the best in online learning directly to you
- Virtual Programs featuring learning opportunities like science experiments, gardening, crafts and more. Check weekly for new content.
- Community art gallery is coming soon and will feature YOUR creations taken from the Summer Learning Challenges page. We will be adding photos, poetry and more.
- Activity books for all ages that you can download and print from our website.
Warm regards, The Alpine Library Staff.